close search ×
juvenile crime

Juvenile Offenses in New Jersey

If your child has been charged with a crime, you will need an experienced attorney on your side that you can trust. Give our firm a call today to speak with our skilled Bergen County juvenile offense attorneys.

What are the different types of juvenile offenses in New Jersey?

According to New Jersey law, anyone under the age of 18 is considered to be a juvenile. Because of this, the state deals with juvenile crimes differently than those committed by people over the age of 18. The Law Office of Carl Spector recognizes how difficult it can be for a parent to discover that their child has been arrested and accused of committing an offense. Our Bergen County law firm is here to advise you through every step ahead to help protect your child’s rights and future. If your child has been charged with a juvenile offense, you must retain legal representation you can trust. To discuss your child’s case with a skilled Bergen County criminal defense attorney, reach out to The Law Office of Carl Spector today.

Where are juvenile cases handled?

When a child under the age of 18 is charged in New Jersey, their case will be addressed differently than standard adult criminal cases. Typically, juvenile cases are handled in the family division of New Jersey’s Superior Court and are heard by the Juvenile Conference Committee. In place of a judge, this Committee of volunteers will decide the outcome of your child’s case. Parents of juvenile offenders must recognize that if the offense is very serious, the case can be waived up to adult criminal court. Some of the offenses that can be waived up to criminal court include murder, rape, assault, and other violent acts. This can be a living nightmare for both you and your child, which is why you must retain an experienced attorney who will fight, for your child no matter what.

Do I need an attorney to represent my child?

The state of New Jersey requires that all juvenile offenders are hired by an attorney. Even though adults are allowed to waive their rights to legal representation, this is not the case for juveniles. Thus, as a parent of an accused juvenile, you have no option but to hire an attorney, and you will be held financially liable for the related costs. However, if you believe you are unable to afford the cost of an attorney, you may ask for the assignment of a public defender. Unfortunately, New Jersey courts frequently reject requests for public defenders if they think the parent or guardian is able to pay for an attorney on their own.



Our Recent Blogs
Read More Blogs
Website Designed & Managed by