New Jersey has some of the strictest gun laws in the country. As a result, it can be difficult to obtain a firearms permit. Read on to learn more about the process, who is eligible, and what you need in order to apply.
Who Cannot Own a Gun?
The first step to obtaining a firearms permit is determining whether you are eligible. The following people cannot own guns in New Jersey:
- Those convicted of aggravated assault, arson, burglary, extortion, homicide, kidnapping, robbery, sexual assault
- Those committed for mental disorder unless there is satisfactory proof they no longer suffer from a disorder that handicaps them from handling a firearm
- Those convicted of the unlawful use, possession, or sale of controlled dangerous substances
- Minors under the age of 18
- Those who are drug dependent
- Those who have physical defects that make them unsafe to handle a firearm
Types of Permits
In the state of New Jersey, there are two different types of gun permits that a person can apply for in order to purchase a gun. The two permits include the following:
- Handgun Purchase Permit: Known as HPP, this is to apply for the purchase of handguns.
- Firearm Purchaser Identification Card: Known as FPID, this permit is needed to purchase a rifle, long gun, or shotgun.
Applying for Your Permit
In order to apply for a firearms permit, you will need to submit the following information:
- A passport
- A driver’s license
- 2 references
- An executed Consent for Mental Health Records Search
License to Carry
It is important to note that obtaining a gun permit does not give you the ability to legally carry a gun. This is a separate permit, known as a license to carry. That being said, New Jersey is very strict when it comes to open carry, and this license is very difficult to obtain. The state of New Jersey requires all applicants for open carry to provide a justifiable reason for why they need to carry a firearm. This can be difficult to do unless they have a job that requires them to carry a gun or if there are any physical threats made against them.
An experienced attorney can help you through the process of obtaining a gun permit. Contact our firm for more information.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
Kevin T. Conway is an experienced Bergen County criminal attorney handling DUI, DWI, traffic violations, violent crimes, sex crimes, illegal gun possession, shoplifting, and juvenile crimes. Attorney Conway is also experienced in commercial law matters, zoning law, and estate planning. If you need an aggressive criminal lawyer, contact The Law Office of Kevin T. Conway for a free consultation.